Tuesday, April 29, 2014

What's a Scooby, oops, I meant SCOBY?

SCOBY: is a Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast. Mmm. Sounds really appetizing, doesn't it. I have to admit that the first couple of times I tried kombucha I did not like it. It was weird. It was sour, says the girl who snuck behind the sofa to eat open cans of tomato paste when she was little. It was eewww. Then, I discovered ginger kombucha. Mmmm. Now this, I liked. The price? Well, that I didn't like, so I started browsing around the interwebs to find out how to make kombucha. Hmm. You have your water, tea, sugar, and a SCOBY. A what??? It's this weird, slimy looking alien that you use to ferment your tea mixture. That's a baby SCOBY in the picture below. I'm actually growing my own little alien in a hibiscus tea mixture.  Time will tell if this experiment works. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, I'm going to plant some ginger. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment