Monday, August 19, 2013

The Whole 30 hasn't been pretty

From reading people's accounts of how they felt while doing the Whole 30, I expected great energy, sleeping well, clear skin, overall, feeling pretty good. My energy has been good, I've been sleeping okay, but clear skin and feeling good? Nope. It could be anything from a sensitivity to coconut oil, yeast overgrowth die-off, toxins leaving the body like rats leaving a sinking ship. I don't know.  All I know is that my eczema went from moderate to horrible in two weeks, and I'm miserable. I've gotten it on my face before, but only on one eyelid. Certainly not all over it. I look like I've been in a brawl. My eyes are puffy and red, I've got itchy patches under my eyes, and on my jawline, and my lips are terribly cracked at the corners, are chapped, and they burn. It's worse on my hands, too. The section on my middle finger is so bad that the skin over my knuckle has split.
 
So, I've decided to not continue restricting what I'm eating so severely. I will continue to eat whole foods, no junk food, no sugars, but I will be adding back in some whole grain products and some dairy. If Whole 30 works for you, great. It's helped me get off of a plateau, but I'm suffering in other ways. I need to be healthy on the outside as well as the inside.

4 comments:

  1. Lori S @MomIsReadingAugust 19, 2013 at 6:05 PM

    I want you to be healthy in every way and I respect you even more for not following the crowd. I'm with you on the junk food and sugar ban myself. I feel better when I'm eating lean meats, whole grains and more fruits and veggies. It feels more balanced and healthy all around. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of Whole30 is learning how you react to food and how food reacts to you. Eveyone's experience is individual and therefore important to them. Glad you were able to learn something. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're off Whole 30. I heard of a person who ended up with major skin issues from the diet, and another who just felt like plain crap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yikes! glad you listened to your body and stopped the experiment!
    thank you for sharing.
    :)
    Gene

    ReplyDelete