Friday, February 15, 2013

Am I inspired? Ask me after my workout today...

This is kind of a catch 22 for me. Am I inspired to work out? Not always, no. Do I feel better if I do? Usually, I do. These days, though, it's taking several days for the muscle soreness I feel after working out with my trainer to go away. I had every intention of going to a yoga class at my gym last night, since The Aussie and I were planning on celebrating Valentine's Day tonight, anyway. I didn't go. I was still too sore from the core workout I did on Wednesday afternoon. Heck, I'm still sore today, and I have to go back and train with him again this afternoon.  I don't feel super guilty for not going to yoga, because I did start up C25K again yesterday morning, so I got a workout in. But I did want to go to the class.  How do you deal with delayed onset muscle soreness? Do you push through it and end up even more sore or do you rest another day or two?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not currently working out like I used to, but in the past I dealt with delayed onset muscle soreness by doing an easy working - a gentle run, bike ride, some stretching, etc. I found that being active helped more than taking the day off. You just need to pay attention to make sure it's just DOMS and not real pain, which could indicate an injury and in which case rest would be better. Tart cherry juice supposedly helps, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Epsom salt baths can help a lot with the muscle soreness. Definitely up the stretching when I'm sore.

    ReplyDelete