Monday, August 24, 2009

Good morning!

These past couple of weeks I've been working on the whole "healthy breakfast" thing because of the Fabulous Fatties Challenge. I didn't used to be much of a breakfast eater, but I've gotten much better. The Aussie can switch between oatmeal and Kashi waffles every other day and be happy. Not me. I want variety for breakfast. And thank you, but no. The idea of scrambled egg whites doesn't do a thing for me.

I recently picked up a cookbook that had a recipe for breakfast cups that sounded interesting. I made it, I liked it, The Aussie liked it (once I assured him it didn't contain tofu), the dogs liked it. Hmmm. Now that I know everyone likes it, let's see how I can completely change it!

One veggie I love is spinach. There are actually very few veggies I don't like. Eggplant and the awful little turnips I made for Easter lunch are pretty much it. (Our guests for that lunch very graciously ate them, even though I said they really didn't have to. I knew they were icky.) But I digress. Spinach. It's good in quiche. It will be good in little eggy cup thingys with cheese.

Florentine Quiche Cups (serves 3)

Ingredients:

3/4 cup Egg Beaters
2+ cups baby spinach (will yield 1 cup cooked spinach)
2 Jimmy Dean turkey sausage patties
1 Laughing Cow garlic and herb wedge
2 T fat free cream cheese
6 wonton wrappers - the small squares
olive oil cooking spray

Heat the oven to 350.

Give each of the wontons a quick spray of cooking spray. With your finger, spread the spray to coat one side of the wonton wrapper. Turn over and put one wrapper in each muffin cup. Bake for 10 minutes or until light brown. Remove from oven.

While wontons are baking, wash spinach and sautee in non-stick pan until cooked down. Remove from pan and chop.

Heat turkey sausage (pan or microwave is fine). Chop into small 1/4" dice.

In a small bowl, combine the fat free cream cheese and the wedge of Laughing Cow. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir together.

In non-stick skillet, scramble the egg beaters until soft. Add in the spinach, sausage and cheese mixture. Stir well to combine the ingredients. Cook for a couple of minutes more, or until done to how you like your eggs. Spoon into wonton cups and serve. These are good hot or cold. (As you can see from the first picture, I didn't wait to eat one before snapping the picture!)

8 comments:

  1. OH, it sound's divine...and it has cream cheese in it! YES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man those look awesome! What is not to love? Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look absolutely delish!!! I'm a spinach/egg fan too so I'll be makin these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummmm..I just had lunch, this is a bad thing...I want those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. spinach and egg beaters on a wonton wrapper? what's not to like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, those look nice!
    (and really, the turnips were, um, delightfully edible!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Those look really good. I just realized you were not on our blog roll. Taking care of it right now!
    Thank you for being a part of our journey :)

    ReplyDelete